We're excited to share your new catalogue and website with you. Both are designed to be more accessible and to be easier to use, at home and on the go.
Your new catalogue, called VEGA, replaces the Encore catalogue. Londoners will be some of the first public library patrons in North America that get to use this new catalogue! Over the past few months, VEGA has been launched by a select group of library systems, including New York Public Library, who launched VEGA on April 13.
Your new website offers a long-overdue update of the organization and presentation of all that London Public Library has to offer. The website has been designed to make it easier for regular visitors to quickly use the Library's most popular resources and to help those new to the Library discover the many resources available to them at their Library. This is no easy task given that the Library offers so much to so many. We consider this new website to be a work in progress and wanted to make it available to you as soon as possible so that you could start using it and providing us with your feedback. This will help us as we continue to make improvements to better serve you.
Below you will find helpful information about using the new catalogue and website and a form to provide your feedback and questions. Please let us know if you have suggestions for improvement or if there are issues you encountered. We want to hear from you.
About the catalogue:
Important to Know
- The first thing to do is LOG IN! This will let you see all the features of the new catalogue.
- My Account is now called My Bookshelf and when logged in it appears at the bottom of every page.
- For regular users who have chosen to store their Reading History, the history will show up in the new catalogue in its own Reading History tab (in the My Bookshelf area).
- For those who have created My Lists, theses have been moved over to the new catalogue in Bookmarks in the My Bookshelf area.
- You can save searches in the new catalogue AND limit and sort them by new materials. You can click on your saved list, see the latest and place a hold!
- Classic Catalogue will still be available for those who want to save searches in order to get emailed 'search alerts'. Follow these instructions in the Classic Catalogue to help you set up 'email search alerts'. Note: saved search alerts will be available in the new catalogue later this year.
- MyLibrary! will still be our library catalogue App
- You can find a help guide right in VEGA.
Our staff have been using the new catalogue for some time and would e happy to answer your questions when you visit your library branch.
What's New and Exciting about Vega?
- Less scrolling in Search Results! Vega “rolls up” different formats of a Title (e.g. Book, Large Print, Audiobook, eBook, eAudiobook) so they are all presented together rather than having to scroll to find them
- Library staff booklists are displayed as “Showcases” in Vega and on our website, including New Items lists.
- You can limit and sort new materials and create your own new items lists.
Catalogue Features Coming Soon
- Bulk renewals and holds
- On order limiter and sort in Refine Results
- Series searching and display improvements
- Excluding “items I’ve borrowed” or limit to “Items I’ve borrowed”
- Pay Online
About the website:
Translate the website into your language!
- On your phone, click the "Select Language" menu at the bottom of the drop-down menu
- On a computer, click the "Translate" link at the top on the right.
- Choose your language and all text on the website will be auto-translated into your language!
- To return to English, click the link again and choose "English" from the top of the list.
Easier to find the most-used information.
- The website's menu and navigation include the Library's most-used or searched resources.
- You may need to use the search button (the magnifying glass symbol at the top right on phone or computer) to find some resources and information. The Search bar asks you to choose to search the Website, which includes all the Library's information and resources, or the Catalogue, which you would search when looking for books or other items from the Library's collections.
- The menu and navigation and website content will continue to be updated to reflect how Londoners are using the Library and the website.
New Catalogue Integration
- It is not often that a new website and catalogue are launched at the same time!
- On the website, you will see "Showcases" of book covers and other items from our catalogue. This is a new feature of the catalogue.
New Events Integration
- The What's On section of the website integrates with the Library's new event management platform.
- Due to the number of programs offered by the Library, you may choose to use filters to narrow down your search. For example, you can choose to search only for programs for a certain age group at a certain Library location.
- This area of the website is still in progress, with a number of improvements coming soon to make it easier to find and register for programs.
New Library Look
- You may have noticed that we have updated London Public Library's logo and colours and added lots of big photos to the website.
- We want the Library's website to feel as friendly and welcoming as your neighbourhood Library branch and for you to see yourself at the Library.
- Changes were also made to meet current accessibility standards.
- We hope that you enjoy this refresh as much as we do!
Behind The Scenes
- What you can't see are the many behind-the-scenes tools and new processes that will allow the Library to more-easily update and improve the website moving forward!